Thursday, February 17, 2011

Moon Phase Observation

6 Weeks of Observing the Moon:  February 4, 2011 to March 18, 2011



    Since February 4, 2011 I have been observing the moon every night. I started observing the moon at 10 p.m. or around 10 p.m. but I thought that was a little too late so now I am observing the moon on my way back from dinner or a little after dinner. Now I have been observing the moon between the hours of 6:30 p. m. and 9 p.m.

    The moon has gone from the phase of new moon to the phase of  first quarter to the phase of full moon. I will continue to observe and look at the moon for another four weeks until March 18, 2011. I really enjoy observing the moon and seeing the varies phase that the moon goes through. Before I began this project, I would occasionally look at the moon to see what the moon phase was but now I look at the moon and sky with a more  scientific eye. I use to only look for pleasure.

  When I began this project on February 4, 2011 the moon was in  the new moon phase. The new moon phase is the first phase of the moon and which  is hard to see in the sky because the sky was very dark. Then the moon was a small silver waxing crescent which kept growing each night that I observed the moon to the next phase of 1st quarter February 11, 2011 to a waning gibbous on February 13, 2011. On February 15, 2011 and February 16, 2011 the moon was very close to a full moon.  Tonight February 17, 2011 the moon was a full moon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment