Saturday, February 5, 2011

Fun Science Facts-February 5, 2011 (2)

Fun Science Facts Part 2

  • The human brain is 80% water.
  • In your lifetime, you'll shed over 40 pounds of skin.
  • 15 million blood cells are produced and destroyed in the human body every second.
  • Every minute, 30-40,000 dead skin cells fall from your body.
  • The brain uses more than 25% of the oxygen used by the human body.
  • If your mouth was completely dry, you would not be able to distinguish the taste of anything.
  • There are more living organisms on the skin of a single human being than there are human beings on the surface of the earth.
  • Muscles are made up of bundles from about 5 in the eyelid to about 200 in the buttock muscle.
  • The human head is a quarter of our total length at birth, but only an eighth of our total length by the time we reach adulthood.
  • The longest cells in the human body are the motor neurons. They can be up to 4.5 feet (1.37 meters) long and run from the lower spinal cord to the big toe.
  • The smallest bone in the human body is the stapes or stirrup bone located in the middle ear. It is approximately .11 inches (.28 cm) long.
These facts are interesting and I would these facts to keep my students interested or as a hook to start the lesson. These facts could be used to get the class involved in the lesson. I could all the facts listed below to help the students stay interested when learning about the different systems and parts of the body. These facts would used as bonus questions on a test. These facts  As a teacher I would use these facts in my classroom with my students when I am teaching about what the different facts are about. I think that these facts are helpful for students to know and some of the facts will be helpful for me when teaching about the different systems of the human body. I will tell some of these facts as hooks to get the students involved in the lesson while other facts listed above will just be used as facts throughout the lesson. These facts provide examples and it is important for students to know examples. I think that these facts are cool so I am going to use them in my class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment