Saturday, February 5, 2011

Fun Science Facts-February 5, 2011

Fun Science Facts 
  • The tentacles of the giant Arctic jellyfish can reach 120 feet (36.6 meters) in length.
  • Most gemstones contain several elements. The exception? The diamond. It's all carbon.
  • Diamonds are the hardest substance known to man.
  • Sterling silver contains 7.5% copper.
  • Which of the 50 states has never had an earthquake? North Dakota.
  • Sound travels about 4 times faster in water than in air.
  • There is a high and low tide because of our moon and the Sun.



These facts are interesting and I would these facts to keep my students interested or as a hook to start the lesson. These facts could be used to get the class involved in the lesson. The first fact could be used when talking about jellyfish. This fact will help the students learn about jellyfish and the jellyfish's tentacles. The second, third, and fourth fact could be used when talking about elements and where the different gemstones come from. Do gemstones come from the ground and are gemstone found in nature.  The third and fourth fact focus more on chemistry. The fifth fact could be used when talking about earthquakes. It could be used as a bonus question on a test. The sixth fact could be used when talking about sound and sound waves. The seventh and final fact could be used when talking about tides and what causes tides. Some of these facts will help students remember the information while other facts are just nice to know about. As a teacher I would use these facts in my classroom with my students when I am teaching about what the different facts are about. I think that these facts are helpful for students to know and some of the facts will be helpful for me when teaching about sound, tides, jellyfish. and earthquakes. I will tell some of these facts as hooks to get the students involved in the lesson while other facts listed above will just be used as facts throughout the lesson. These facts provide examples and it is important for students to know examples. I think that these facts are cool so I am going to use them in my class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment