Sunday, April 17, 2011

Week 14

Week 14: Pulling It All Together. Teaching Math, Science and Technology
This week and final book chapter are to leave you with a sense of purpose and commitment about becoming scientific and sharing that scientific self with future students. The chapter suggests various helpful techniques, many of them based on personal reflection. You are urged to develop a personal science teaching philosophy, to keep a science blog, and to engage in ongoing professional development. This chapter also pulls the major themes of the text together, and it invites you to construct a new chapter in your science autobiography.
Write a blog entry science autobiographies. Start the entry off with some questions like these:

  • What are the skills and strengths that you bring to the schoolscience experience?
  • What are the areas in which you would like to improve as you set about doing science with students?
  • How did your scientific self develop during this course?
  • How do you define “science” now as you prepare to teach it?
  • What is your favorite science web site?
  • What contemporary science news event most interests you?
  • What do you think is your greatest challenge in teaching science?
  • How will technology help you stay current and teach science in an innovative way?
  • This week and chapter really show how a teacher needs to pull everything together. It is important as a teacher to have a certain teaching philosophy and to engage the children in learning. It is also important for students to keep a journal and a science autobiography. It is important to have a purpose and commitment as a teacher. It is a good thing as a teacher to keep a journal of what you like and don't like about your lesson. You as a teacher should try to reflect on the good and bad parts of your lesson and what you would like to improve. You should also mention what you liked and disliked about your lesson. As a teacher you should bring your science experience and things like experiments that you like to do in science to the classroom to inspire all your students to like science. 

The following are the strengths that I bring to the school science experience. I bring the knowledge of the solar system and astronomy. I bring the knowledge of knowing about biology about the human body systems. I will bring my knowledge from this class Science Methods of knowing how to use the Smart Board and the balloon activity and the float and sink activity. I will also bring the of the kingdoms. I will also bring the knowledge and some activities that I did when I was school to the classroom. I will bring the experience of the using Science Circus in my classroom. I will also bing the strength of knowing about life, earth, and physical science to the classroom. I will also bring the experiment of the trail mix to the classroom. These are the strengths and things I bring to the classroom. 

The areas that I need to improve on as a teacher in order to teacher my students is as follows.I should probably improve on adding hands-on experiments to the class and throughout this course I have learned how to do that. I should also learn how to engage the students which I have learned through this class. This class has taught me to use a puzzle or an educational game to engage the students at the beginning of the lesson. These are the areas that I need to improve on and I have seen improvement over this course in these areas and have also learned how to improve in those areas through this course. 

My scientific self developed a lot throughout this course. I have learned how to use technology in my lesson. I leaned how to incorporate science and technology together. I learned how to do hands-o experiments. I learned about science experiments through reading the book called Science Stories by Jane Koch. I learned about life, earth, and physical science through this course. I learned that it is a good idea to use Science Circus in the classroom.I learned that demonstrations for science topics and concepts are a way for students to be engaged in the classroom. I learned that the balloon activity and the float, sink or?? activity  are good to use in the classroom. I learned how to engage students in a science lesson. I  leaned a little more about science through the different activities that I did not know about before. I learned a lot more about physical science through this class. I already know a lot about earth and life science. From this course Science Methods I learned a few new activities that I could incorporate into my classroom when I become a teacher like the Jigsaw project and  Science Circus. This is what I learned from this class and my scientific self. I know a lot about science before taking this class by reading articles and books and doing little experiments. My scientific self knows that I know about life and earth science and some physical science concepts because I learned about these sciences when I went to school and still remember the information. Scientific self is important to know what you do know and don't know about science and if I don;t know something about science I will do research and read articles to make sure I know about that topic or concept before I teach it to my students. 


No comments:

Post a Comment