Monday, April 25, 2011

Science Stories Chapters 10, 11, 12, & 13

I enjoy reading all of the Science Stories in the different chapters of theScience Stories book. I find the Science Stories to be the most interesting parts of the chapters that I read. It is very interesting to see what different experiments are being shown in each chapter. I find the Science Stories to be very well explained and easy to follow. Science Stories which are the experiments are easy for a teacher to explain to her class and to do in the classroom. 

     The following is what I would incorporate into my classroom when I am a teacher. For the Science Stories listed below, I would probably follow the instructions and explanations that are listed in the book Science Stories by Jane Koch. 

For chapter 10, I would definitely incorporate the Science Story of Batteries, Bulbs and Wires in my classroom. Chapter 10 talks about terms like electric circuit, series circuit, and parallel circuit.








I would definitely incorporate and show this video to my class when talking about circuits, batteries, and electricity. This will help be a visual aid for students to see how a battery is made and how electricity is shown.  This video talks about voltage and a battery and how this lemon citrus and two metals help to make a battery by using cooper and another metal. This video talks about LED. I would only show part of this video to my class at a young age of second and third grade but if in fifth or sixth grade then I would show the whole video. I think that the students will learn a lot from this video about electricity.


I would show the second video to my class when talking about circuits, batteries, and electricity. It is cool for the students to see how easy the experiment to do and to see how this little experiment shows electricity. I would show this video to any age group from second grade and above. This video talks about voltage and a battery and how the lemon is the circuit with the nail and copper being the positive and negative. This video explains about positive and negative electrons. Positive electron is copper and negative electron is nail. I think that the students will learn a lot from this video about electricity. This would be a great video to start a lesson with.

For chapter 11,  I would definitely talk about lesson plans and how it is important to your plans for the lesson will help you to engage your students in a meaningful science activity. It is important to include goals, the 5es: engage, explore, explain, elaborate, and evaluate, and to include science ideas in a lesson plan. The role of questioning is very important for teachers. Open-ended questions are good to use in a lesson because they can lead to more than one answer and then you base your lesson off of all these different answers. As a teacher it is important to know the accommodations for different learners and how to accommodate different learners and their levels in the classroom. This is important to know as a teacher.

For chapter 12, I would definitely talk about the different systems discussed like the human body systems, the solar system,and  interactions and pattern changes which include electricity, sound, energy, and many more. These are important topics and concepts for students to learn. 


This video is a video about the solar system.This video is about the beginning of the solar system.I thought that it be a good video to show since this chapter in Janice Koch book mentions about the solar system and asteroids, meteriods, planets. This video will help students understand the solar system better and all the  parts of the solar system. I thought that I use this video at the beginning of the lesson when introducing solar system and how it occurred or at the end of the lesson as a review to help students remember the birth of the solar system that we have been discussing. 


For chapter 13 I  would definitely talk about the water cycle. 





This is a cute video about the water cycle. This video explains what happens to Bob through the phases of the water cycle. It is a great starter video to introducing the water cycle to the students in my class. This video will help students understand the water cycle and all the different phrases and changes that happen to Bob all he goes through the water cycle and explains each cycle. It is a visual way of learning about the water cycle.  

2 comments:

  1. I love these science stories! They're so informative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your videos are great! I loved your insight of each chapter and how you would use them in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete