Sunday, April 17, 2011

Class 24- March 21, 2011 - fieldwork experience

Fieldwork to starts. The fieldwork took place at Bishop Dunn with the 5th grade and Mrs.Benfer who is the fourth grade teacher at Bishop Dunn. She teaches the sciences for the third grade, fourth grade, and fifth grade. It must be nice to have the same teacher for science for three years in a row from third grade to fifth grade.

Mrs. Benfer started the lesson by telling the students that they would be working on a worksheet with their college buddy from the textbook. Mrs. Benfer did a demonstration at the start of the lesson. Written on the board at the front of the classroom was the words mixtures, solutions, solvent, and solute and what each word means. Mixtures means different materials are placed together but do not bond to form compounds and different materials keep their own properties. Solution means special mixture in which substances are spread out evenly and will not settle. A universal solvent is water. A solute is lemonade crystals. The demonstration was the trail mix to explain that mixtures of different materials keep their own properties. Mrs. Benfer put pretzels, m&ms, and banana nut chips all in a bowl. She asked the students what would happen when taking out the pretzel would it retain its properties. The pretzel retained or kept its original property. The m&m and banana nut chip also kept its original property. Mrs. Benfer did a solution experiment with a  The experiments for mixture and solution were cool and I would definitely use them in my classroom when I become a teacher.

Mrs. Benefier really engaged the students in the class. She encouraged the students to ask questions and to show the knowledge that the students knew. Mrs. Benefier did the experiment to engage the students to see what would happen. The students enjoyed the experiment because the student then got to have a snack. Mrs. Benefier asked questions. The students were a little shy and timid because there was so many college students standing around. Once Mrs. Benfer was done with her demonstration and explaining what the students would be doing, Mrs. Benfer handed the college students a worksheet. Mrs. Benfer told us (the college students) that we( the college students)  could work in Miss O'Leary classroom and that half of us were going to go into Ms. O'Leary classroom. I went into Miss O'Leary classroom and choose a student in the class named Mathew Wayant. 



I worked with a fifth grader named Mathew Wayant. He and I worked on the worksheet about mixtures and solutions. It covers text pages 358-361 in their textbook. Mathew and I would take turns reading the back assignment before going onto the front and into the textbook to read. Mathew answered the back questions with no problem. We went onto the front side and then opened the textbook. Matthew started to read on page 358 about mixtures and then once we were done reading the page about mixtures Mathew and I discussed about what the definition of mixture is and I helped Mathew come up with an example of a mixture by telling him what Mrs. Benefier was talking about and how to use that concept to come up with our own mixture. Then I read the next page which was page 359 in the textbook was about different metal mixtures. On page 360 Mathew read about solutions and solvent and solute. Mathew and I again discussed the definition for solvent, solute, and solution. Then we talked about what an example for solvent, solute, and solution. We finished reading the last page and then answered the middle questions on the back page of the worksheet. Mathew was very cooperative and did his work very dignity. I would help him with the worksheet. I really liked working with Mathew we made a great team. We both listened to each other and communicated well and helped each learn mixtures and solutions together. I helped Mathew understand and come up with examples. It was nice to work one-on- one with a student so that you could really see what the child knew and see how the child did. Mathew is very smart and explained and taught me all about mixtures and solutions. I enjoyed working one-on-one together. Mathew did not struggle with the lesson he really enjoyed reading about science and learning about science. It was great to work one-on-one to see how much the child knows and the child knows that you are there to help them. It was a great experience to see how the student listened to me and follow my instructions. 

The following is what worked. I liked that Mrs. Benefier did the experiment for mixtures and solutions. That worked really well and got the students really engaged in the lesson and wanting to learn. The textbook was information and interesting and it worked to help the student to work on the question the student had to answer. It worked out great to split the class to get the work done. The following is what I would change. I would have given the students another example of a solvent and solute. I would have also made sure that all the students got the trail mix mixture. All in all it was a good lesson. 





It is always nice to work one-on-one with a student. This way you can see what the student knows and does not know. Working one-on-one with a student also shows to me how the student listens to you and some students work better one-on-one. It is nice to help a student and to have that connection with the student and to share the learning. You can learn a lot from a student while working one-on-one because the student can teach you something about the topic that you did not know about before. You can give examples to students and the students can have a discussion about a topic. While doing a worksheet or reading, you and the student can have discussions and talk about examples. Matthew and I did a lot of discussing what the reading means and exchanging examples. Matthew and I would help each other understand what the reading was about. I really enjoyed working with Matthew.






The pupils in the fifth grade were really nice. I was not scared to go into the classroom because I have been in the classroom before. I worked with a really nice student named Matthew and we got along very well. When working with Mathew we both taught each other about mixtures and solutions and we both learned from each other because we did the worksheet together and explained our responses before writing them out. 


I was thinking as a future teacher that the demonstration that Mrs. Benfer did was a great way to engage the students into the lesson. I also liked how Mrs. Benfer engaged the students by asking them questions about what a mixture is?, what a solution is? I also liked how Mrs. Benfer made the classroom come alive. I was thinking that questions are a good way to engage the children in the lesson. I will try to use these two things when I am a future teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment