Sunday, April 17, 2011

Class 26- March 25, 2011

Fieldwork at Bishop Dunn. Dr.Smirnova talked to us to contact Mrs. Benfer if we need materials or help with the lesson. Mrs. Benfer told us how we could contact  her through the Bishop Dunn website under fourth grade teacher. If we have any questions we can contact her through this website that lists her email. Dr. Smirnova explained that  the lesson needs to include an introduction, teaching, and closure. The lesson will be taught twice in Mrs. Benfer's room to groups A, B,and C and also in Miss O'Leary's room to groups D, E, and F. Mrs. Benfer talked about lemon juice and tarnished pennies and about technology changes as an overview of what is happening in chapter 12 the next chapter the students are going to be reading.  Matthew and I worked on his test prep from the textbook. I was helping Matthew come up with the answers to the questions on the worksheet. If we were not sure on an answer to one of the questions Matthew and I would look back in the textbook for the answer. If we were still not sure about the answer I would look at the answer sheet and guide Matthew to the answer. Matthew and I did not get to finish all of the test prep we got up to question number 14. We finished all the fill ins which were the definition questions which were questions 1 to 9. Then Matthew and I moved onto the explain concepts. For the explain concepts question 10 to 12 Matthew and I looked back in the book to find the answer  to these questions and discussed our answer before Matthew wrote down his answers. For question 13 Matthew and I discussed this question. Then we started to talk about question 14 but time ran out. See worksheet below for what the test prep looked like.

My response to lesson is as follows. I would help the students in my class anyway I could with in the legal right of being a teacher. I want all my students to succeed. Whether it be giving a student extra practice like worksheets. As a teacher I could use a different way to approach a topic. It is important for students to look back in the textbook to help the students remember the information and find the information while doing the test prep. It is important as teachers to give a lot of examples based on a topic so that the students understand the topic. As a teacher it is sometimes better to facilitate a lesson than to lead the lesson. It is better to have a discussion than to have a lecture from the teacher. It is a good idea to have a lecture note taking lesson before having a discussion lesson.  By having a discussion students can have more of an input into the lesson and teachers can see what students know. Students learn in different ways so it is the teachers job to figure out ways to teach students as individuals and to also have students learn and obtain the knowledge.

The experience of working with Matthew has taught me a lot. It has taught me that it is important to explain information to students and to give students a lot of examples so that each student in the class will remember one of the examples I said and be able to understand the concept or topic. By sitting next to Matthew, I learned that the lesson has to be to the whole class but it also has to be geared to each individual student. I was thinking that I teach a lesson and then have the students work on a worksheet and I would go around and see how the students are doing. If a student is not doing so well or not understanding I would go and explain the concept to the student or I could let that student work with another peer or classmate that understands the concept. I also learned and was thinking for my own classroom to have a science corner where to store my science supplies. I was also thinking that in my own classroom I would make sure to incorporate to the best of my ability all types of learning whether it be visual or audio, etc.I feel like every child should be able to understand the concept. In my classroom I was thinking of having students do more hands-on activities then worksheets. I would engage the students with questions or a puzzle or an educational game to get the lesson started so the students are motivated to learn.  When asking questions I will pick on a student to answer and then ask the students if they all agree with that being the correct answer and if not all the students agree I will either explain the concept to those students after I give the rest of the class to do the experiment or I will explain in front of the whole class. I think that if students ask questions about not understanding something or the students wants to know more about a topic or concept is important. As the teacher it is important to make sure that each student in the class understands the concepts you are teaching. 


atom (p. 348)
compound (p. 351)
concentrated (p. 361)
dilute (p. 361)
 electron (p. 349)
 element (p. 343)
 neutron (p. 348)
 proton (p. 348)
 saturated (p. 361)
10.Explain the difference between an atom and a molecule.
11.What is the difference between a mixture and a solution?
12.Explain how matter changes from a solid to a liquid and then to a gas.
Use the term from the list above that best completes the sentence.
1.A(n) ______ is in the nucleus of an atom and has a positive charge.
2.A(n) ______ is in the nucleus of an atom and has no electrical charge.
3.A(n) ______ is part of an atom and has a negative electrical charge.
4.A solution is ______ if it has a large amount of solute in comparison with the amount of solvent.
5.A(n) ______ solution has little solute in comparison with the amount of solvent.
6.A solution is ______ if it contains all the solute that can be dissolved at the time.
7.There are more than 100 types of matter, each called a(n) ______.
8.The smallest particle of an element is
a(n) ______.
9.Elements combine to form a(n) _____.
13.Infer You mix oil and vinegar for a salad dressing. After a few minutes, the oil has separated and is floating. Infer which has the greater density—oil or vinegar. Explain.
Use the following table for Question14.
Types of Bonds
Held Together
by Sharing
Electrons
Held Together
by Opposite
Charges
carbon dioxide

sugar 
potassium
  iodide
calcium
  chloride
14.Classify water and sodium chloride (table salt) by telling which column each belongs in.












No comments:

Post a Comment