Monday, April 25, 2011

Class 32 - April 8, 2011

Fieldwork at Bishop Dunn. Today was our last day. It was nice to work with the fifth graders.

Group two did a lesson on chemical changes. Group 2 started the lesson by showing a chemical change video which was very good. It (the video) talked about fireworks, burning paper, and other examples of chemical changes. Then group 2 asked what is alka seltzer?  Then the teachers  my classmates explained the inquiry lesson about how each group had to assign a time keeper, observer, recorder, and speaker. It was important to do one cup at a time. It was important to keep the time and to see how long it would take to make bubbles  for each temperature of water:  for the cold, warm, and room temperature.  Then each group shared their results.

Group six did a lesson on math and science. Group 6 start with asking if there is a connection between math and science. Some of the answers were: math and science both have equations and show how math is related to science. Group 6 went on to show a simple problem before doing a word problem. The simple problem was x-40 = 180 and x = 220. The word problem  was: If 6 grams of hydrogen is combined with oxygen to form 54 grams of water. How much oxygen would there be? x+ 6 =54 and  x= 48. Then group 6 assigned each group problem number 6 in  the textbook and another problem to each group to solve. Then a member in each group went up to the Smart Board and solved the problems and explained his/her work and how he/she got their answer. After all the groups presented, then the teachers my classmates asked a question: why is there math in science?: some answers were: connect to find mass of object, use equation, and  math is everywhere. 


I would definitely use group two's lesson experiment in my classroom. I really liked the idea of showing a chemical change through using water and alka seltzer tablets. I liked that the group used three different types of water: warm, cold, room temperature.  I would definitely have the students work in groups like this group did. It is a cool experiment for the students to see chemical change and it is not too hard for the students to do. I would have the supplies in my Science Corner. This experiment is a great way for students to remember chemical change. This experiment was very interesting. This experiment impacted me and got me thinking about adding a fourth cup and seeing what will happen.  I was thinking that I would try this experiment with four types of water: warm, hot, cold, and room temperature or warm, frozen, room temperature, and cold. I will also have the students make predictions about which cup of water temperature would make the most bubbles. I would have the students make hypothesis and see if their hypothesis comes try by doing the experiment. I would also have the students give me feedback about the experiment what the students liked about the experiment, what could be improved ,and what the student did not like about the experiment. This is how I use the experiment in my classroom and this is my thinking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment