Sunday, January 30, 2011

Science Stories: Chapter One: Questions and Responses

  1. What is an example of someone’s exhibiting a scientific way of thinking?
     An example of someone’s exhibiting a scientific way of thinking is a scientist or teacher of science. Scientist exhibit scientific ways of thinking through doing experiments. Astronauts exhibit scientific way of thinking through making rockets and different satellites that orbit the galaxies and planets to find more research about space. Medical experts and lab technicians use scientific way of thinking through discussing new cures for diseases and discovering better cures than the ones that exist already. Medical experts discover cures for certain types of cancer, small pox, and other diseases. Teachers of science exhibit a scientific way of thinking through doing labs and experiments. Doctors who make discoveries and do research to find cures for diseases exhibit a scientific way of thinking. Scientist exhibit scientific ways of thinking through doing medical and clinical trials for new drugs. These are some of the people and how they exhibit a scientific way of thinking.
  1. Can you think of a time when you had a significant misconception or alternative conception about the way things worked? How did you realize your thinking had to change?
     No, I can’t remember a time when I had a significant misconception or alternative conception about the way thing worked. If I did something wrong or had a misconception or alternative conception, my teachers were there to help me understand what I did wrong and explained to me what I did wrong through stepping-stones. My teacher’s showed me that thinking had to change if it was wrong.

  1. Why is it important for students not just to recite what they have learned but to demonstrate it in a new context?
       For a teacher to know that you know the material; you need to be able to demonstrate the material in your own way. Reciting the material is all well and good but it is like reading off the paper. When you become creative and demonstrate the material you learned in an original way like through a project you demonstrate that you understand the material in depth. By showing the teacher in a different way, he or she knows that you know the material that they taught you and that you also understand the material. 
  1. In your own life, how, if at all, has technology helped you learn? 
       Technology has helped me learn in many ways. Technology has broaden my horizons and has interested me to explore the Internet. I have used the Internet for research for different courses. Technology has helped me learn how to do references, save me time on research that I would spend in the library. By using technology and Internet the resources and websites are now at my finger tips. Computer search engines help to look up information in seconds where as in the past it would take a few minutes to look up the book in the library catalog and then go to have to find the book and then read through the book and see if the information is important. Now you can read the information from the website and see if the information is useful. If the information is useful then you can have it at your finger tips. Technology with computers and looking up articles has in a way saved less paper so in a sense you are going green. Technology with the invention of youtube can show videos of science experiments. Technology is an important tool to learn and use.

   Computers have been very helpful to me in terms of papers because typing papers can be a lot faster than to write out papers and word has spell check to help make sure that you spell words correct. By typing paper you can send your paper to your teacher and save trees in the process. Computers have email through the Internet so email makes it easier to communicate with others on a project. Skype is a communication program and you can communicate with friends and people you are working on a project with. Technology and computer help to save trees and lets me communicate with my friends.

    Technology has made it easier to communicate, learn, and easier to stay in touch with others and to learn from the Internet new information in a much faster way then before. Computers and the Internet have helped me learn a lot about technology. Technology helped me learn how to gather information on a topic that I was researching. Technology has helped me stay connected to people who I have worked on projects with and people who I am friends with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment